Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lucky number thirteen ...

So I am in week number thirteen.  The last week of the first trimester. Crazy.  I have felt pretty good through the first trimester.  I only had to battle a little nausea in the evenings, never once throwing up or having heartburn.  As soon as the doctor and midwife assured me the cramps I had were growing pains they mostly went away ... or at least every little one didn't freak me out.

In fact I consider myself lucky that the only "real" symptom I have had is exhaustion.  It really has made through afternoon classes and attempting homework very difficult.  Sitting in my 1400 robots class (borriiiiinnngg) I often found myself wondering if it would be better if I didn't have to work (go to school) and could stay home all day.  But I doubt it, in fact I can't stand being at home doing nothing all day.  I feel incredibly guilty.  Even on the weekends ... when I should be resting up for the week ... panic and pure guilt starts to take over if I haven't accomplished anything that day.  In fact I can be quite obnoxious, and poor BA (who isn't afflicted by the same feelings) has to deal with it.

I find guilt during pregnancy to be a great motivator.  Since becoming pregnant I have been working out regularly (~4 times a week) and have given up several "bad" habits and cut back dramatically on others.  I haven't had any alcohol (duh) and won't drink again until I am done nursing (which BA and I have decided on one year or a long underway, which ever comes first).  I haven't had any caffeine, although the research out there says 200 mg (1 cup of coffee) a day is okay.  At first I really, really missed my diet sodas ... and for about 2 weeks I was drinking diet caffeine free ones ... until guilt over consuming sweeteners made me stop.  Now I have maybe one or two regular root beers a week to get my fix.

The most inconvenient things to give up have been canned food, sprouts, old spice deodorant, and over easy eggs.  During my prenatal nutrition appointment I was told to stay away from canned food because of the BPA, and that sprouts and under cooked eggs can carry bacteria that is very dangerous to pregnant women.  Do you know how hard it is to say no to delicious sprouts on my deli sandwiches?

I have switched to all natural hygiene products ... and let me tell you natural deodorant doesn't work as well as old spice.

Right now BA is in the process of quiting smoking!!!  It is very kind of him to do so ... because I know he loves smoking, says its his favorite thing to do ... but he agrees with me that it isn't something that we want to do around babies.  I know he can do it and I am very proud of him for attempting.


Still sporting a beer belly rather than a pregnant one.  Don't I look sure sexy in these unflattering gray sweatpants?

BA's beer belly (he wants everyone to know he is pushing it out and isn't really this big :))

No comments:

Post a Comment